Information on new travel restrictions
As of September 1, 2020, the Hungarian Government imposed new restrictive entry measures to Hungary.
Hungarian citizens can enter Hungary after a health screening on the border. Upon entry, they have to go to home quarantine for 10 days. The quarantine period can be shortened by two negative PCR tests, within 5 days, with 48 hrs difference between the two tests. The first test can be done in Canada prior to the arrival to Hungary.
Same regulation applies to the following persons:
- family members of Hungarian nationals, regardless of nationality
- permanent residents and their family members (proven by legal documents).
- persons holding a long term (over 90 days) residence permit (including D-type visa holders)
- professional athletes or anyone working for a Hungarian sports organization coming back to Hungary from an international sports event proved by official documents
Non-Hungarian nationals – in general – may not enter Hungary, with few exceptions:
- persons who have to present themselves in front of a court for legal purposes, proven by official documents from a Hungarian court;
- business travel or work related entry, with an invitation letter signed by either a central governmental administrative body, an autonomous regulatory body or an autonomous state administration body;
- persons with healthcare appointment, with an official letter from the destination healthcare institution; - foreign students studying in Hungarian universities;
- travel related to freight traffic – foreign nationals can be transported to the place of origin of a transport job and can be taken back home, proven by the employer;
- attending family events (marriage, christening, funeral);
- taking care of a relative;
- attending important, international sports, cultural and religious events; or
- any reasonable reasons beyond the aforementioned points.
Request of entry has to be submitted electronically on the website of the Hungarian Police.
For regular updates please check http://abouthungary.hu/ frequently.