Who can have a marriage registered in Hungary, and how to do it?
All Hungarian citizens have to have their marriages officiated abroad registered in Hungary.
Follow this procedure if at least one of the parties to the marriage has proof of his or her Hungarian citizenship.
The application may only be submitted in person, mailed-in applications will be sent back without consideration.
Some statements -especially those pertaining to the married name and the name of the children to be born from the marriage- require the presence of the other party.
How much is the fee?
Marriage registration is free of charge. For applications submitted during extramural consular days we charge a 21 CAD service fee, payable in cash only. We do not accept debit or credit cards and cheques.
Which form shall I fill out?
- Please fill the form out with a computer or by a blue ink pen, with block capitals.
- Please use full names, e.g. John Thomas Smith instead of John Smith or John T. Smith.
- When asked about the mailing of the birth certificate please ask that it is forwarded to the Embassy in Ottawa. We will mail your certificate to the Canadian address you specify.
What documents shall I submit with the application?
- Your marriage certificate. Not all Canadian marriage certificates are accepted! Please refer to the list found here.
- The copy of the document proving the citizenship of your non-Hungarian spouse, e.g. a passport or a citizenship certificate.
- If the bride's or the groom's family status at the time of the marriage was divorced or widow, submit the Hungarian-issued or foreign marriage or death certificate or court decree. Not all Canadian marriage and death certificates are accepted! Please refer to the list found here. You will need a document from the Canadian provincial superior court dissolving the marriage which specifies the exact date on which the divorce took effect. These are usually called divorce certificates or decrees absolute.
- If the divorce from the previous marriage of a Hungarian citizen has not yet been registered, it has to be done simultaneously.
Why do I have to specify my address?
As part of the marriage registration your personal data and your address will be registered in the Hungarian personal data and address registry with the Canadian address specified, if the data have not been registered previously. If you wish to specify an address located in Hungary, please fill in this form too. We will mail you your address card along with your marriage certificate. This English translation will help you in filling the form out.
Which Hungarian authority is the one responsible, where can I get more information?
The Budapest Főváros Kormányhivatala (Budapest Metropolitan Government Office) is responsible for the registration of vital statistics events which happened abroad.
|Marriage registration form and English translation|
|Form for registering an address located in Hungary and English translation|