Who can have a divorce registered in Hungary, and how to do it?

All Hungarian citizens whose marriage was dissolved by a foreign court has to have the divorce registered in Hungary.

The application may only be submitted in person, mailed-in applications will be sent back without consideration. The application may be submitted in Ottawa, in Toronto, in Montreal, in Vancouver and during extramural consular days.

What to do if I do not yet have a Hungarian-issued marriage certificate of the dissolved marriage?

The registrations of the marriage and the divorce have to be initiated simultaneously.

How much is the fee?

The registration of the marriage itself is free of charge.. All fees are payable by debit/credit card only. We do not accept cash or cheques.

Which form shall I fill out?

You can download the form here.

What documents shall I submit with the application?

  • A photocopy of the Hungarian-issued marriage certificate, and
  • ​You will need a document from the Canadian provincial superior court which dissolved the marriage specifying the exact date on which the divorce took effect. These are usually called divorce certificates or absolute decrees. If you were divorced in a country other than Canada, please inquire in an email sent to consulate.ott@mfa.gov.hu to see if you will need to obtain an Apostille or diplomatic legalization or have the divorce decree translated to Hungarian by an official translator.

​If my divorce is registered, do I get my birth name back?

No, you have to separately request a name change.

Which Hungarian authority is the one responsible, where can I get more information?t?

If the marriage was officiated outside Hungary, the Budapest Főváros Kormányhivatala (Budapest Metropolitan Govenment Office), if in Hungary, the vital statistics registration authority of the municipality where the marriage was officiated has jurisdiction.


Divorce registration form