How can I apply for a name change?

You can only apply in persons, mailed-in applications will be sent back without consideration. Both parents have to apply to have a minor's name changed. You may apply in Ottawa, in Toronto, in Montreal,  in Vancouver or during an extramural consular day.

How much is the fee for a name change?

You can find the fees here. All consular fees are payable by debit/credit card only. We do not accept either cash or cheques except for the change of birth name in which case there is a fee of 10.000 HUF payable directly to the Hungarian authority (+22 CAD if submitted during an extramural consular day). If you wish to change your birth name, please contact us in advance at for more details about the payment method.

How can I change my birth name?

The change of a birth family and/or given name(s) of a Hungarian citizen is subject to the approval of the Minster of Interior.

Please fill this form out.

The change of a family name of a parent affects all minor children with the same family name, unless explicitly asked otherwise. If the spouse has a married name that includes the family name the change is requested for, the change will affect the married name too. Both parents shall consent to the change of the name of a minor, unless one of the parents does not have parental custody. If your child is grown-up, he or she should apply for a name change in his or her own right. 

The civil registrar can once change the given name(s) of the child upon the request of both parents. It is also the civil registrar who is responsible if the request is for changing the order or given names or abandoning one of the given names.

How can I change my married name?

A Hungarian citizen can have his or her married name changed during the marriage or after the marriage is dissolved, even on multiple occasions.

Please fill this form out.


Form for requesting the change of a birth name
Form for requesting the change of a married name​