I. Residence permits

Who needs a residence permit

All non-Hungarian citizens with the exception of EU/EEA citizens have to have a residence permit if they wish to stay in Hungary for more than 90 days.


Who can apply at the Embassy? Where can I apply for a residence permit?

Canadian citizens.

Citizens other than Canadian citizens can only apply in Canada if they are legally resident in Canada, meaning if

  • you are a permanent resident or
  • you have a study permit or work permit or
  • you have a super visa and have not been able to apply in the country of your citizenship.

In any other cases, e.g. if you live in the United States, you cannot apply in Canada. Exceptions can only be made in well justified cases, especially if in your country of citizenship there is no Hungarian consulate or consulate representing Hungary where you could apply, and you are a visitor in Canada.

In Canada, you can apply in Ottawa. You must appear in person, as your biometrics (photo and fingerprints) will be taken on site.

If you are a Canadian or the citizen of another Schengen visa-exempt country, you can apply for residence permit in Hungary directly at National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing. For more information:  Országos Idegenrendészeti Főigazgatóság


How much is the fee of the residence permit visa application?

Residence permit application fee is 155 CAD which is subject to change (see consular fees table in Hungarian for current fees). All visa fees are payable by credit/debit card only. We do not accept cash and cheques.

How do I get my residence permit?

If your application is approved, you will have to collect the residence permit itself in Budapest. We will affix a "type D" visa in your passport which you can use to enter Hungary (the Schengen area). If you are not able to collect your passport at the Embassy, please provide a prepaid, trackable self-addressed envelope.

​Where do I find detailed information on the different types of residence permits, forms, lists of supporting documents etc.?

At the website of the Országos Idegenrendészeti Főigazgatóság (National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing). 


​I am a diplomat, or work for an international organization enjoying diplomatic immunities, to be posted in Hungary.

Please contact us at consulate.ott@mfa.gov.hu.




II. Nemzetgazdasági érdekből kiadott nemzeti letelepedési engedélyek hosszabbítása -

National permanent residency card issued on the basis of national economy interest considerations - extension

Extension of Hungarian national permanent residency card issued on the basis of national economy interest considerations:

The Embassy in Ottawa is the only competent Hungarian mission in Canada to receive such applications for extension. Decision on extension is made by Directorate-General for Aliens Policing (OIF) in Budapest.


  • Current PR card and;
  • Valid passport/ID;
  • Proof of legal stay/residence in Canada and;
  • Payment of Visa fee and;

​​National residency permits (re)issued shall not be mailed to Canada. Therefore applicants can pick up their new national residency permit in Hungary in person or through their legal representative (contact OIF for more information).