Who can and where can he or she apply for a Hungarian passport?

All Hungarian citizens can apply for a passport. If you have no proof of citizenship, you will have to have your citizenship verified before applying for a passport.

Your photo and your fingerprints are captured on site when you apply for a passport, therefore you will have to apply in person, either in Ottawa, in Toronto, in Vancouver or during an extramural consular day. No form over 18 years old.

Passports of children under 12 years of age does not include their fingerprints, thus their applications may be sent by mail.

How much is the fee for a passport?

  Ottawa Extramural
​3-year passport for an applicant under the age of 6 77 CAD 99 CAD
  • ​2 children in the household
72 CAD 94 CAD
  • ​3 or more children in the household
69 CAD 91 CAD

5-year passport of applicant between ages 6-18

77 CAD 99 CAD
  • ​2 children in the household
72 CAD 94 CAD
  • ​3 or more children in the household
69 CAD 91 CAD

10-year passport of applicant between ages 18-65

125 CAD 147 CAD
5-year passport of applicant between ages 18-65 97 CAD 119 CAD

10-year passport of applicant over the age of 65

66 CAD 88 CAD
1-year passport without fingerprint of applicant over the age of 12 77 CAD 99 CAD

The fees in the left column are for applications submitted in Ottawa, fees in the right column are for ones submitted during extramural consular days. 

If you are the caregiver of more than one minor children in your household, you will get a fee discount for the children's passport based on this statement.

In case of in-person applications the fee is payable by debit/credit card only. The fee of mailed-in applications shall be sent by a money order payable to the Embassy of Hungary. We do not accept either cash or cheques.

How do I prove my identity and my Hungarian citizenship?

If you have

  • a valid Hungarian passport
  • or a valid Hungarian ID card,

these prove both.

If you do not have either, you shall prove your identity by presenting a valid Hungarian driver's license or a valid foreign photo identification (e.g. a Canadian passport or driver's license). Information on proving your Hungarian citizenship is provided here.

Shall I have my previous Hungarian passport on me?

If you have had a Hungarian passport before, and it is still valid, you will have to present is. If it was lost, stolen or damaged, you will have to show a report on this or report it to the consul.

Normally we take your old passport away.

  • If you have a valid visa in your passport you can request that we give the passport back to you after invalidating it.
  • If you plan to travel with your passport shortly after applying for a new one, you can do that. In this case you will not get your new passport before submitting or mailing in your old one.

What other documents shall I bring?

If you have one, please show us your address card.

You will have to bring

  • your Hungarian-issued birth certificate,
  • and also your Hungarian-issued marriage certificate if you wear a married name.

If you have a valid Hungarian passport, ID card or driver's license it is not a necessity to have your vital statistics certificates with you. For an application of a minor (under the age of 18), presenting a birth certificate is always compulsory.

If a procedure affecting your name (e.g. a marriage registration or a legal name change) is ongoing your passport will not be issued before it is complete.

What special rules apply to applications of minors...

a) who are under the age of 6?

In case of a passport application of a child under the age of 6, the Hungarian parent who can prove his or her citizenship can sign a statement, on the basis of which the Hungarian citizenship of the child will be presumed.

  • The registration of the child's birth has to be initiated in parallel with the passport application.
  • Your child will get his or her Hungarian passport before his or her birth is registered. In this case, however, the name of the passport will be the same as the name on his or her birth certificate (e.g. John instead of János). If this is against your will, do not submit this statement on the child's citizenship.

b) who are under the age of 12?

The application of a child under the age of 12 can be submitted by mail. Fill this form out.

  • Attach a passport photo of the child.
  • Have your signature on the application form authenticated by a honorary consul.
  • Attach the photocopies of the parents' ID documents (preferably a Hungarian passport, ID card or driver's license of a Hungarian parent and a passport of a foreign parent).
  • Provide the address where we can mail the passport to and also phone and e-mail contacts.
  • Send the application with all attachments to the Embassy's postal address (299 Waverley Street, Ottawa, ON K2P 0V9).
  • Example of an application package: letter with the parent's contact details, authenticated passport application form, a passport photo, copy of the child's birth certificate, copy of the parents' passports, consent letter of the parent whose signature was not authenticated by the honorary consul, statement on the number of children given care to in the household, money order).

c) in general?

All passport applications of children under the age of 18 has to be submitted by both parents in person as a general rule.

  • If only one of the parents is able to be present, the other should sign this consent letter. His or her signature on the letter may be authenticated by two witnesses (or a Hungarian consul, or by a Hungarian passport issuing authority, a Hungarian notary public or a Hungarian guardianship office).
  • Parents must identify themselves (preferably with a Hungarian passport, ID card or driver's license of a Hungarian parent and a passport of a foreign parent).​
  • If only one parent has custody over the child, a document (court decree or death certificate) must be presented as proof.
  • Parents who are caregivers to 2 or more children in their households get a discount from the passport fee. Please fill out this statement.

(Points a), b) and c) equally apply to a child who is 5 years of age.)

​What biometric data does the passport contain?

Your passport will store your facial image and two fingerprints on an RFID chip. If you consent to having your fingerprints stored in a database in Hungary, as well, you will be able to apply for a replacement passport online in case your passport is lost, stolen or damaged. 

I have urgent travel coming up. How do I apply for expedited processing?

Expedited passport processing is only available for applications submitted in Hungary. If you have urgent travel coming up, a temporary passport could be the solution, especially when travelling to Hungary.

​Which Hungarian authority will issue my passport, where do I get more detailed infromation?

The Belügyminisztérium Nyilvántartások Vezetéséért Felelős Helyettes Államtitkárság (Ministry of the Interior) is the Hungarian passport-issuing authority.

Forms for passport applications of minors

Parental statement on the Hungarian citizenship of a child under the age of 6
Passport application form for children under the age of 12
Parental statement on number of children in household
Consent letter of absent parent